Graduation according to Google
The graduation ceremony is a cultural tradition termed as a "rite of passage." It dates back to the 12th century.
In the Middle Ages, scholars and the clergy wore long gowns to ward off the cold in unheated study halls. These gowns inspired the graduation gown traditions that formed in the 12th and 13th centuries with the formation of the first Universities.
The famous tune, created by Sir Edward Elgar, became a graduation ceremony mainstay in 1905 at Yale University. It was there that Elgar received an honorary degree from his friend, music professor Samuel Sanford. At Sanford's request, the ceremony paid homage to Elgar's various works, and "Pomp and Circumstance" played as the graduates filed out of the auditorium.
The class ring dates back to 1835, when West Point Academy students designed rings to celebrate their graduation. The practice caught the attention of other major universities, and before long, it was part of the complete graduation tradition. Class rings are generally seen as "rites of passage" accessories that symbolize achievement and skill.
Tossing of the graduation hat is a tradition signaling the end of the ceremonies. The flight of the hat symbolizes the flight of the graduates to whatever awaits them.
***Be Sure to pick the Journal's graduation issue next week, Wednesday June 6.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent westernoregonjournal News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST WESTERNOREGONJOURNAL NEWS
RECENT WESTERNOREGONJOURNAL CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!